MSRS Delegation Visited Belt and Road Facilities in Greece
At the invitation of Euroterra Capital, Mrs Regina Ip, Co-Chair of Maritime Silk Road Society (MSRS), and Dr Louis Shih, Co-President of MSRS, visited Greece on 20-23 July to meet with various government officials and business leaders to broaden mutual understanding and explore opportunities for cooperation under the Belt and Road Initiative.
The seven-member delegation also met with university students who were working as summer interns with Euroterra Capital, a host company of the Society’s “Operation Zhang Qian — Undergraduate Summer Internship Programme 2017”.
On 20 July, the delegation was greeted by representatives from the Municipality of Marathon and Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Greece respectively. The following day, they visited Port Piraeus in the morning and met with Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund in the afternoon. All meetings were coordinated by Enterprise Greece, the official investment and trade promotion agency of Greece.
On 22 July, the delegation went to Lefkada, a famous Greek island in the Ionian Sea, to meet the Mayor of Lefkada and to view Euroterra Capital’s development projects on the Island. In the evening, the delegates attended the Festa Del Canale, Lefkada’s multicultural spectacular held in the summer.
The delegation was welcomed by Euroterra Capital’s Managing Partner Mr Pantazis Therianos and Head of Asia Mr Frank Fan.
Lefkada is one of the most popular holiday destinations in the world. The delegation notices Lefkada has established a strong relationship with China and Hong Kong with an increasing Chinese investment in this Greek island.
Mr Therianos announced in this trip to increase the internship positions with MSRS next year with different opportunities in their global presence.
Mrs Regina Ip said, “On behalf of the Maritime Silk Road Society, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Euroterra Capital for their arrangements that enabled us to meet with various officials and business leaders, which I hope will help promote collaboration in commerce, tourism and culture between Greece and Hong Kong under the nation’s ‘Belt and Road Initiative’. I am particularly impressed by the visit to the Port of Piraeus, the largest Greek seaport and one of the biggest in the Mediterranean Sea.”
In addition to thanking sincerely Euroterra Capital for its warm hospitality during the visit in Greece, Mrs Ip was grateful for the five internship places offered by the company to Hong Kong undergrads, which gave them an opportunity to work in Athens and Lefkada and to gain invaluable experience in the Mediterranean.
1. Mrs Regina Ip (second from right) meeting with Ms Penny Mikelopoulou, Secretary General of the Municipality of Marathon (first from right).
2. Mrs Regina Ip meeting with Mr Gao Wenqi, Political Counsellor as the charge d’affaires ad interim in the Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Greece.
3. A group photograph of representatives of MSRS and the Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Greece.
4. Mrs Regina Ip leading a delegation to tour Port Piraeus and was received by Capt Fu Chengqiu, CEO of Piraeus Port Authority S.A. (third from left).
5. MSRS delegates meeting with representatives of Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund.
6. Mrs Regina Ip exchanged souvenirs with Mr Drakodaidis Ch. Konstantinos, Mayor of Lefkada.
7. MSRS delegates attended Lefkada’s multicultural spectacular, a signature event of the Island.