Which international organizations or forums are related in the strategic plan of the “Belt and Road Initiative”?
International organizations which are involved in the strategic plan of the“Belt and Road Initiative” include: The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), ASEAN Plus China (10+1), Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC), Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM), Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD), Conference on Interaction and Confidence-Building Measures in Asia (CICA), China-Arab States Cooperation Forum (CASCF), China-Gulf Cooperation Council Strategic Dialogue, Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS) Economic Cooperation, and Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) .
Forums which are involved include: Boao Forum for Asia, China-ASEAN Expo, China-Eurasia Expo, Euro-Asia Economic Forum, China International Fair for Investment and Trade, China-South Asia Expo, China-Arab States Expo, Western China International Fair, China-Russia Expo, and Qianhai Cooperation Forum.
In what ways will the strategic “Belt and Road Initiative” benefit the countries involved in terms of infrastructure building, economic development and social life?
The strategic plan of “Belt and Road Initiative” will improve the connectivity of infrastructure construction of the countries involved. The strategic plan will push forward the integration of infrastructure network between all sub-regions in Asia, as well as those between Asia, Europe and Africa step by step. The plan will focus on transport infrastructure (improving road network, formulating compatible and standard transport rules in order to facilitate international transport). Another focus is on land-water transportation (advance port cooperation, increase sea routes and civil aviation cooperation).
Improvement in connectivity also include energy infrastructure（oil and gas pipelines, cross-border power supply networks and power-transmission routes, etc.）The plan also aims at advancing international communication connectivity by improving the cross-border optical cables and other communications trunk line networks.
Investment and trade cooperation is also a major task. The plan strives to improve investment and trade facilitation, remove investment and trade barriers for the creation of a sound business environment within the region. Investment in China is welcome, and Chinese government will encourage Chinese enterprises to participate in infrastructure construction and other investments in various countries along “Belt and Road Initiative”.
The policy mentioned above will benefit the countries involved in terms of economic development, employment and living standard.
What is the importance of emphasizing the principle of ‘mutual consultation, joint venture and mutual benefit for the interests of all’?
For more than two millennia, the Silk Road linked up the major civilizations of Asia, Europe and Africa. For thousands of years, the Silk Road Spirit - ‘peace and cooperation, mutual learning and mutual benefit’ - has been passed from generations to generations. In the 21st Century, the global economy is in crisis. It is even more important that the Silk Road Spirit can be rejuvenated.
“Belt and Road Initiative” emphasizes the principle of ‘mutual consultation, joint venture and mutual benefit for the interests of all’. By adhering to the ‘Five Principles of Peaceful Coexistence', mutual respect for the sovereignty of the countries involved can be achieved. The plan initiates arrangements for closer cooperation and integration of development strategies of different countries involved. The initiative also embraces the following trends: a multi-polar world, economic globalization, cultural diversity and greater IT application. The aim is to promote an orderly and free flow of economic factors leading to highly efficient allocation of resources and deep integration of markets. With the joint effort of all the countries involved, it is hoped that a platform could be built for regional economic cooperation that is open, inclusive, balanced and sustainable.
How is the issue of environmental protection taken care of when the strategic plan of the “Belt and Road Initiative” implemented?
The plan of “Belt and Road Initiative”, adopts the following approaches to tackle the issue of environmental protection.
- Infrastructure construction: Every effort will be made to promote green and low-carbon infrastructure construction. Operation management will also take into full account the impact of climate change resulting from these constructions.
- Use of renewable energy sources: Advancing the use of hydropower, nuclear power, wind power, solar power and other clean, renewable energy sources.
- The importance of conserving the environment is emphasized: To make the Silk Road an environment-friendly undertaking, increase cooperation for conserving the environment, the local biodiversity as well as minimizing the impact of climate change is needed. When Chinese enterprises participate in the infrastructure construction of other countries, they will take as their prime concern these social responsibilities.
- Joint application for World Cultural Heritage sites: China will cooperate with other nations in the protection of various Silk Road heritages. One way to achieve this goal is to enlist these sites in the ‘World Cultural Heritages Sites.’
- Increase exchanges and cooperation between non-government organizations: Public activities concerning education, health care, poverty reduction, conserving biodiversity and ecological protection will be organized for the benefit of all.
Environmental protection is a major issue of this new era. The plan of ‘One Belt, One Road’, emphasizes the importance of this by adopting the various approaches mentioned above.